COVID-19 update: All of New Zealand is now at Red. More information.
- Key dates
- Before your exams
- Before your exams
- Alternative arrangements
- Aegrotat or Impaired performance
- Exam time clash arrangements and instructions
- Examination rules
- Exam start time
- Oral exams
- Past exam papers
- Changing your exam time or date
- After your exams
- Contact us
Alternative examinations arrangements for international students with disabilities
Assessment Services may be able to make alternative arrangements for your examination(s) if you have an impairment, injury or disability, or if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Range of alternative examination arrangements
Some of the services available are listed below:
- Enlarged print question papers and dark lined answer booklet
- Additional time
- The assistance of a writer
- The use of a computer
- Home supervision
There may be differences between what arrangements a student is used to receiving in their country of origin and what Massey University may be able to provide. For example, a student may be used to receive 50% additional time for writing an exam, but will only be provided with 10 minutes per hour of examination at Massey.
International students are expected to cover all costs associated with the provisions of alternative exam arrangements as per the Terms and Conditions of Enrolment.
The cost for a reader/writer supervisor session is $80.00 for a 3 hour exam.
Please apply for alternative examination arrangements by the application deadlines even if you are not entirely sure you will need them. Last minute application may not be able to be accommodated.
Semesters One, Two and Double
- Apply at least 9 weeks prior to the start of the examination period.
- Apply at least 6 weeks prior to the start of the examination period.
Required supporting documentation
Learning and/or cognitive impairment
- A cognitive and educational assessment by a registered psychologist that confirms your reading and/or writing deficits is required.
- If you have an impairment that is not learning or cognitive, you are required to supply the Additional Assistance in Exams and Alternative Exam Arrangements (129 KB) form completed by a registered medical practitioner.
Please note that other forms of documentations may not be acceptable - for example, a "504 Letter" or "Individualised Education Plan" (IEP).
Assessment Services may be able to provide alternative test arrangements for mid-semester tests. If the test is an online test, a practical test or laboratory test, we will not be able to provide arrangements and you should discuss the situation with your lecturer.
Please give as much notice as possible.
It is your responsibility to inform Assessment Services of your tests as soon as possible. If you do not contact us, we will not be able to make arrangements for your mid-semester tests. We may not be able to make arrangements for your tests if we do not have sufficient time - we typically require at least two weeks' notice.
If you are unsure if you are scheduled for mid-semester tests, or when these are to take place, you should ask your lecturer at the beginning of the semester.
If you suffered a temporary injury impacting your ability to write, please also contact us. We will require a medical certificate before we can provide arrangements.
Page authorised by Director, Student Administration
Last updated on Wednesday 18 August 2021