Our Wellington and Manawatū campuses are open, Auckland remains closed at AL3. More information.
BackMassey Qualification Regulations
- University Calendar
- General University Information
- Diary of Key Dates
- Massey Qualification Regulations
- Studying at Massey University
- Enrolment at Massey University
- Glossary of terms
- Prescriptions and Schedule of Courses
For help with understanding these important regulations, please watch our video.
The Postgraduate Diploma in Social Work
These regulations are to be read in conjunction with all other Statutes and Regulations of the University including General Regulations for Postgraduate Degrees, Postgraduate Diplomas, and Postgraduate Certificates.
1. Admission to the Postgraduate Diploma in Social Work requires that the candidate will:
(a) meet the University admission requirements as specified;
(b) have been awarded or qualified for a Bachelor of Social Work or Bachelor of Social Work with Honours or equivalent.
2. Candidates for the Postgraduate Diploma in Social Work shall follow a programme of study, which shall consist of courses totalling at least 120 credits at 700-level, comprising:
(a) courses selected from the Schedule for the Qualification
(b) attending Contact Workshops, block courses, workshops, tutorials, and laboratories as required.
3. Notwithstanding Regulation 2, and at the discretion of Academic Board, students exiting the Master of Applied Social Work may have a personal course variation approved in excess of stated limits, to meet the requirements of the Postgraduate Diploma in Social Work through substitution of courses from the schedule to that degree.
4. Notwithstanding Regulation 2, and at the discretion of Academic Board, students exiting the Doctor of Social Work may have a personal course variation approved in excess of stated limits, to meet the requirements of the Postgraduate Diploma in Social Work through substitution of courses from the schedule to that degree.
5. The Postgraduate Diploma in Social Work is awarded without specialisation.
6. The Postgraduate Diploma in Social Work may be awarded with distinction.
7. The timeframes for completion as outlined in the General Regulations for Postgraduate Degrees, Postgraduate Diplomas, and Postgraduate Certificates will apply.
8. Candidates may be graduated when they meet the Admission, Qualification and Academic requirements within the prescribed timeframes; candidates who do not meet the requirements for graduation may, subject to the approval of Academic Board, be awarded the Postgraduate Certificate in Social Work should they meet the relevant Qualification requirements.
Unsatisfactory Academic Progress
9. The general Unsatisfactory Academic Progress regulations will apply.
Schedule for the Postgraduate Diploma in Social Work
120 credits from
179.702 Advanced Research Methods 30 credits
179.736 Substance Misuse and Addictions 30 credits
179.740 Social Service Supervision: Theory and Practice 30 credits
179.741 Social Service Management 30 credits
179.761 Current Issues and Theories in Social Service Practice 30 credits
179.763 Clinical Practice 30 credits
179.771 Child Welfare 30 credits
179.773 Disability Studies 30 credits
179.777 Disability, Consumer Rights and Advocacy 30 credits
179.778 Mental Health and Social Work 30 credits
179.783 Māori Development and the Social Services 30 credits
279.703 Social Policy Studies 30 credits
Page authorised by Academic Manager
Last updated on Monday 20 September 2021