Our Wellington and Manawatū campuses are open, Auckland remains closed at AL3. More information.
BackMassey Qualification Regulations
- University Calendar
- General University Information
- Diary of Key Dates
- Massey Qualification Regulations
- Studying at Massey University
- Enrolment at Massey University
- Glossary of terms
- Prescriptions and Schedule of Courses
For help with understanding these important regulations, please watch our video.
The Postgraduate Diploma in Environmental Management
These regulations are to be read in conjunction with all other Statutes and Regulations of the University including General Regulations for Postgraduate Degrees, Postgraduate Diplomas, and Postgraduate Certificates.
1. Admission to the Postgraduate Diploma in Environmental Management requires that the candidate will:
(a) meet the University admission requirements as specified; and
(b) have been awarded or qualified for a relevant Bachelor's degree or an equivalent qualification.
2. Candidates for the Postgraduate Diploma in Environmental Management shall follow a flexible programme of study, which shall consist of courses totalling at least 120 credits at 700 level, comprising:
(a) courses selected from the Schedule to the Qualification;
(b) any compulsory courses listed in the Schedule for the Qualification;
(c) attending field trips, studios, workshops, tutorials, and laboratories as required.
3. Notwithstanding Regulation 2, and at the discretion of Academic Board, candidates may be required to complete one or more bridging courses, 188.707 and/or 188.708, should their undergraduate qualification be deficient in important aspects of environmental science.
4. The Postgraduate Diploma in Environmental Management is awarded without specialisation.
5. The timeframes for completion as outlined in the General Regulations for Postgraduate Degrees, Postgraduate Diplomas, and Postgraduate Certificates will apply.
6. Candidates may be graduated when they meet the Admission, Qualification and Academic requirements within the prescribed timeframes; candidates who do not meet the requirements for graduation may, subject to the approval of Academic Board, be awarded the Postgraduate Certificate in Science and Technology should they meet the relevant Qualification requirements.
Unsatisfactory Academic Progress
7. The general Unsatisfactory Academic Progress regulations will apply.
8. Subject to any Maximum Time to Completion regulations and the Abandonment of Study provisions specified in the Part I regulations to the diploma, candidates enrolled in the Postgraduate Diploma in Environmental Management prior to 1 January 2022 may substitute a course or courses already passed for a course or courses in the Schedule until 31 December 2024.
Schedule for the Postgraduate Diploma in Environmental Management
30 credits from
At least 60 credits from
176.718 Environmental Sociology 30 credits
188.705 Environmental Policy 15 credits
188.707 Environmental Management Principles and Practice 15 credits
188.708 Land System Change 15 credits
188.751 Advanced Zero Waste for Sustainability 30 credits
189.730 Sustainable Land and Water Management 15 credits
238.700 Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) and Footprinting Principles 15 credits
Elective courses (No more than 30 credits from)
119.710 Nutrient Management in Grazed Pasture Systems 30 credits
130.705 Emergency Management 30 credits
131.704 Sustainable Development 30 credits
132.735 Natural Resource Policy and Planning 30 credits
145.710 Consumption and Place 30 credits
152.730 Advanced Contemporary Issues in Sustainability 30 credits
152.752 Project Management 30 credits
158.740 Location Systems: Spatial Databases, Tools and Applications 15 credits
158.741 Location Data: Mapping, Analysis and Visualisation 15 credits
175.729 Psychology and Culture 15 credits
175.733 Sustainable Livelihood 15 credits
178.719 Climate Change Economics and Policy 30 credits
189.731 Advanced Studies in Soil Science 15 credits
196.713 Ecology 30 credits
P 1963xx or 1993xx
233.714 Advanced Geoscience Techniques 15 credits
233.715 Environmental and Geological Hazards 15 credits
Page authorised by Academic Manager
Last updated on Monday 04 October 2021